The Reading Curriculum
At Carrington Junior School, we believe reading is an essential life skill which lies at the heart of our curriculum. Central to learning is creating a life-long love of reading and books. At Carrington Junior School, it is our belief that every child should be able to read for pleasure and to a high standard. We want to develop our children’s imaginations to open up a treasure house of wonder and joy for curious young minds. We believe that every child should be given the tools to develop into an enthusiastic and confident reader both at home and at school. Reading improves language and vocabulary, inspires imagination and gives everyone the opportunity to develop and foster new interests.
The Reading Curriculum will:
- Foster a love of reading by listening to and interacting with a variety of literature, non-fiction and poetry.
- Provide children with necessary life-long skills to ensure they can read fluently and confidently, with a secure understanding.
- Build a community of engaged readers who turn to reading for meaning and pleasure by engaging with parents and participating in reading events.
- Provide opportunities to read for pleasure.
- Ensure reading is a transferable skill and ensure children are reading across the curriculum.
- Develop a consistent approach to reading teaching.
- Support pupils who find reading challenging to access the learning, close gaps and enhance their understanding and skills.